23 Aug 2007
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Transcribed by: Becky Jones
Daniel Lipe, a retired farmer of Sterling, was the son of Godfrey and Barbara (House) Lipe, natives of North Carolina and of German descent. They were farmers and died in their native State. He remained at his parental home until he was 23 years of age, receiving a common-school education and assisting on the farm. On leaving home he came to Montgomery County, this State, purchased 500 acres of land and followed agriculture there for 33 years, when he sold and came to Sterling, buying 23 acres of land joining the town; he still resides on a portion of the same tract.
Mr. Lipe was married March 8, 1832, to Miss Matilda Walter, a native of North Carolina, and they have had 11 children, 9 of whom are still living, namely:
1. Louisa C., who was born in North Carolina, Feb. 11, 1833, moved with her parents to Illinois in 1835, arriving Oct. 13, and Dec. 25, 1856, married Whitson Hefley, a blacksmith by trade, who died in the Union Army, Oct. 18, 1863. By that marriage Mrs. H. had two children, one of whom, Arthur, is living. In the fall of 1865 she married William F. Henry, and by the present matrimonial union there have been five children. The three children living are May, Loa M. and Jesse. Arthur Hefley is married and has two children.
2. Wiley A. Lipe, who is a minister of the Gospel. He was born in North Carolina, July 9, 1835, and was moved with his parents in imigration to Illinois when only three months old. Oct. 25, 1860, he married Elizabeth E. Brown, and now has six children—Eva, Ada, Walter S., George, Archie and Augustus K., besides Ida, deceased.
3. Barbara J.; born in Illinois, Sept. 29, 1837, married Levi S. Hefley, a farmer, Oct. 24, 1858, and has five children—Cyrus, Elizabeth, Daniel, George and Mary, besides one deceased. Elizabeth married Smyth Caton, Feb. 9, 1882, and has one child, Mabel.
4. Rufus F., who is a merchant. He was born in Illinois, Jan. 6, 1840, married Mary M. Holmes, Jan. 15, 1863, and has had two children—Dalton S., deceased, and Lilly D. The latter married Hiram E. Price, May 3, 1879, and has one child, Muriel by name.
5. Mary Elizabeth, who was born in this State, April 9, 1842, married Jacob Single, a farmer, March 14, 1860, and died Feb. 27, 1861.
6. Luther L. , who is a minister of the Gospel. He was born Oct. 17, 1844, married Flora Stager, Oct. 5, 1872, and has had two children, Johnnie, deceased, and Olive.
7. Cecelia A., who also was born in this State, in August, 1850, and married Henry Raffenberger, an insurance agent, Dec. 5, 1870, and has four children—Walter, Levi, Olive and Roy.
8. George W., a druggist, who was born in Illinois, April 18, 1853, married Mary E. Miller, May 19, 1875, and has one child, Zula.
9. Sarah A.C., who was born in the Prairie State, May 23, 1856, and May 6, 1880, married Thomas W. Henry, a general carriage and buggy agent for the Enterprise Manufacturing Company of Cincinnati, Ohio.
10. Leora J., who was born in Illinois, Dec. 30, 1859, and Sept. 25, 1880, married Cyrus L. Schriver, general carriage and buggy agent for the Enterprise Manufacturing Company of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Thus it will be seen that Mr. Lipe, the subject of this record, has had 29 grandchildren (seven of whom are dead), and four great-grandchildren. His sons and daughters who are living are all married and are doing well, the men being in active business or professional life.
In his political views Mr. Lipe is a Republican, and both himself and wife members of the Lutheran Church.