Newsletter/Mailing List >
TAHS Website Updates for Sept. 2008
TAHS Website Updates for Sept. 2008
Oct 4, 2008
It's been another busy month for the historical society and the website updates. Please note the CALENDAR OF EVENTS for our area - many activities as well as meetings! Our TAHS monthly meeting will be held immediately after the Yorktown Cemetery Walk in their community building. It will be brief, but it will be good to have Joan back at the helm. There will not be another meeting in October.
As you may know, my research efforts are stifled since the Tampico Tornados were taken for the IL Newspaper Project to be microfilmed (and eventually digitalized!) They took the following years: 1876-1888 and 1944-1966. We still have the Gazette available to us MOST of the time, but they are currently having their papers digitalized! Digitalized means you can do a "search" on them. I can not wait!
Note that October is the last month for this 2008 season that the Birthplace and also the Historical Society will be open. If you would like to visit during Nov. - Feb., please contact Joan Johnson, - 815-622-8705 or Shirley - 815-438-7447 for the Birthplace. If you would like to visit the Historical Society you may call Joan or Denise (815-438-2065/590-2065) and if you would like to do research in the Family History Library and Research Center, please contact Denise McLoughlin.
Don't miss Les Niemi's "This Week in Tampico History" articles in our MESSAGE BOARD section. Lots of those precious little family nuggets of info can be found. I read it with my morning cup o' Joe.
If you have an idea for a program or speaker for our 2009 programs, please contact me.
NEW ENTRIES FOR OCTOBER, 2008
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
• Monday, Oct. 6, 12 noon - Community Club meet @ Kickback Saloon for lunch (eat from menu). After lunch, go to Community Building. Guest: Peoples Bank , games & dessert.
• Wednesday, Oct. 8, 7 p.m. - THPAC (Tampico Historic Preservation Meeting) in Museum Bldg., 119 Main St., Tampico.
• Thursdays, Oct. 9, 16, 23, 30, 6 p.m.- Mexican Train Dominoes, Community Bldg., W. Market St., Tampico. $5/play. Light refreshments, prizes.
• Mondays - 2 & 4th of month - Tampico Lions Club. Meet in back room of Good Times (Main St., Tampico). 6p.m. Contact: Larry Ebersohl at 815-438-6582 or any Tampico Lion member.
• Sunday, Oct. 12, 2p: Annual Yorktown Cemetery Walk. Meet at cemetery unless there is inclement weather. If weather is bad, meet in YT Community Bldg (Rt. 92). Light refreshments served afterwards in Community Bldg. Brief business meeting for TAHS members afterward. No other TAHS meeting to be held in Oct. Contact: Denise McLoughlin, 815-438-2065 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• (Revised date) Sunday, Oct. 12, 5:30p: Prophetstown RNA Youth Group, Chapt. 516, visit Sandy Pine Elk Farm Contact: Shelly Jaquet, 438-5475
* Sat/Sun, Oct. 11 & 12: SANDY PINE ELK FARM - CGH Breast Cancer Awareness W/E. Kids activities. Door prizes, Scavenger Hunt
• Fri/Sat, Oct. 17 & 18 - 24 & 25: SANDY PINE ELK FARM - Flashlight Maze
• Sat., Oct. 18, 2008 Prophetstown Area Historical Society is having it's annual antique appraisal day at St. Catherine's Catholic Church beginning at 9 a.m. People may bring their things to be appraised anytime after 8 a.m. The fee is: $5.00 for one item or 3 items for $12.00. There is no charge to come and listen and learn. Karen Holland from Sterling is our appraiser. Cookies and drinks will be served throughout the event.
• Saturday, Oct. 25: "Make a Difference Day" - RNA Youth Group, Chapt. 516 will bake pies and serve them to residents of Prophetstown River View Good Samaritan Center. Contact Shelly Jaquet 815-438-5475
• Sunday, Oct. 26, 1-4p.m. - Last day that the Tampico Area Historical Society will be open for the 2008 season. It will be open by appointment only. Contact: Joan Johnson, 815-438-7581 (cell: 815-622-8705)or email@example.com; Denise McLoughlin, 815-438-2065, cell: 815-590-2065 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Wednesday, Nov. 5, 7 p.m. - TAHS board meeting @ Museum Bldg. 119 Main St., Tampico
• Saturday, Nov. 8, 11-4p: Giving Tree Mini Festival of Trees. http://www.tampicohistoricalsociety.citymax.com/calendar/calendar_day/22558/2008-11-8.htm
• Saturday, Dec. 6, (times TBA) - CHRISTMAS IN THE COUNTRY -Santa, crowning of new Royalty and other festivities are in the planning. Mark this date. Details will follow later. (click to see flyer)
BIOGRAPHIES - WHITESIDE COUNTY, 1885 -
• Joseph Benner - Requested by M. Stewart
NEW ENTRIES FOR SEPTEMBER, 2008
ARTICLES & LOCAL HISTORY
• 1921 - Gifford Yarde burned
• 1925 - Cemetery Directors Hold Meeting
BIOGRAPHIES - History of Bureau County - 1885
• John W. Bailey (Princeton)
• John W. Bailey (Ohio)
BIOGRAPHIES - Past & Present of Bureau County 1906
• Asa Kasbeer
• Henry Hurst, Sr.
OBITUARIES Key = ddm/Denise McLoughlin MLT/Melva L. Taylor
• 1879 - Fr. John White - submitted by Chuck Rodekohr
• 1899 - Rachel Smith - ddm
• 1904 - Hon. J. W. White - submitted by Chuck Rodekohr
• 1910 - Dr. Alexander C. Smith - ddm
• 1927 - Lucretia Medley Pierson - ddm
• 1930 - Zenus A. White - ddm
• 1974 - Anna D. (Reed) Burdsall - MLT
• 1974 - Unice Flora Frank Ricks - MLT
• 1974 - Mary Eliz. Adams - MLT
• 1974 - I. Donald Langford - MLT
• 1974 - C. W. Dimmig - MLT
• 1974 - Beulah (Kempster) Shomerus - MLT
• 1974 - F. Vernon Van DeMark - MLT
• 1974 - Marguerite Alice (Morris) Howlett - MLT
• 1974 - Esther Gladys (Jensen) Richards - MLT
• 1974 - Katherine L. (Kelley) Rassmussen - MLT
• 1974 - C. S. "Spud" Melton - MLT
• 1974 - Lawrence (Dewey) Adams - MLT
• 1974 - Mary Juliette (Resberg) Cooper Anderson - MLT
• 1974 - Andrew Staelens - MLT
• 1974 - Fredda Rosene - MLT
• 1974 - Harold Lathrop - MLT
• 1974 - Callie Richards - MLT
• 1974 - Justine (Hermann) Olson - MLT
• 1977 - Edna (Stern) Arnold - MLT
• 1977 - Caryll VanDeusen - MLT
• 1977 - Arnold Perrizo - MLT
• 1977 - Margaret (Wolfe) Wallis - MLT
• 1977 - Leona (Anderson) Rushton - MLT
• 1992 - Iris Keppler Johnson - submitted by Carol White
• 1996 - Blanche M. Brooks - MLT
• 1996 - Kenneth Martin - MLT
• 1996 - Helen LaDue - MLT
• 1997 - Mary Elizabeth (O'Neil) Hermes - MLT
• 1997 - Clarence Brandau - MLT
• 1997 - Ava L. Charleston - MLT
• 1997 - Paul Fee Lane - MLT
MESSAGE BOARD - SEPTEMBER
• This week in Tampico History - Week of August 31 - by Les Niemi
• This week in Tampico History - Week of Sept. 7 - by Les Niemi
• This Week in Tampico History - Week of Sept. 14 - by Les Niemi
• This week in Tampico History - Week Of Sept. 21 - by Les Niemi
• This week in Tampico History - Week of Sept. 28 - by Les Niemi
• Amos Short
• Jay Greenman & Zadie Merritt
• Descendants of Theron Crook
• (Whiteside) Arts or Women's Club
• Glassburn (ancestry prior to David of VA)
• Looking for JWR Stambaugh's Parents
• LaRue Family
• WISH LIST
• Dr. A. C. Smith - census data
• Adelbert Zenus White - submitted by C. Rodekohr
• John W. White - Submitted by C. Rodekohr
• John White - Submitted by C. Rodekohr
PICASA WEB ALBUMS
• New! SMITH Family Album
• Tampico Hog Roast 2008
• Motor Ioway 2008 (temporary file)
Family History Coordinator
Tampico Area Historical Society
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
TAMPICO AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY - MUSEUM - FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY/RESEARCH CENTER 119 Main St., P. O. Box 154, Tampico, IL 61283 www.tampicohistoricalsociety.com email@example.com President Joan Johnson, 815-438-7581 or firstname.lastname@example.org Family History Coordinator, Denise McLoughlin 815-590-2143. We are an all-volunteer organization so your donations are always appreciated! Sign up to receive our e-newsletter. Thank you! Visit us on FACEBOOK, too.