Clipping from old newspaper
This is probably from the Tampico Tornado, since it references Tampico as "this place."
Date penciled in as March, 1913
ANOTHER ONE OF TAMPICO'S AGED PIONEERS CALLED TO HER REWARD ON HIGH
Tamico lost another one of its pioneer residents and early settlers in the death of Mrs. Mary E. Jacobs who passed away at the ohome of her son, J. M Jacobs in the Southern part or town Sunday morning about 2 o'clock. Death came after several years of bad health and wad due to her advances years and complications. She wsd only bedfast for the last few days and the end came peacefully.
The funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Methodist church, Rev. H. A. Snyder, the pastor having charge of them. Music was rendered by a quartette composed of Mesdames Brewer, Maggie McKenzie, Isherwood and Miss Emma Allen. Interment was in the Tampico cemetery the following acting as pall bearers: C. R. Aldrich, Geo. Drayton, J. W. Hixson, Wm. Ruck, O. D. Pitney, L. K. Brainerd. All of the children were presnt at the funeral.
Mary E. Smith was born Nov. 12, 1831 in Allegheny county, New York, and came west with ther parents to DeKalb county, Illinois, when a girl of eighteen. She was married to Joseph Jacobs in the vicinity of Aurora Jan*, 1855, and after a few years resding near DeKalb and Sandwich they came to Tampico and established their home on a farm southeast of Tampico, afterward moving to the home place in the southern part of Tampico where she resided until her death. Mr. Jacobs died July 21, 1881.
Aunt Mary Jacobs as she was affectionately called by relatives and friends was one of the well known residents of Tampico having lived here for over a half century and reared one of the families that has been prominently identified with the active business and farming life of the community. In her prime she was a woman of strong mentality and took an active interest ithe social life of the community. She was a member of the Tampico Methodist church and for many years was one of the teachers in the Sunday school, and also took an active part in the all the work of the church. She delighted in doing those things that would assist in making the community better and taught her children the same principles which have followed them through life and made of them good, useful citizens in the communities in whch they have chosen to make their homes.
Three sons, A. E. of Malta, J. M. of Tampico and A. H. of Chicago and one daughter, Mrs. Eva Morse of Babcock are the surviving members of the family. Two brothers, Moses Smith of this place and Albert Smith of Seattle and a sister, Mrs. Morrill of Chicago also survive.