Header Graphic
Obits > 1904 - L L Emmons

Submitted by Barb Chandler

Was Prominently Identified With the Growth of Sterling and Rock Falls-The Funneral to be Held Sunday Afternoon.

L.L. Emmons, Sr., of Rock Falls died Wednesday afternoon at 4 o’clock after an illness
of several months. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the family
residence. The Rev. Mr. Elliott pastor of Rock Falls Congregational church will officiate.
Interment will be in Riverside cemetery, Sterling.

Mr. Emmons was one of the early pioneers of this part of the country, coming to
Whiteside county in 1846. He was born in Litchfield, Litchfield, Conn., June 17, 1821.
Early in life his father died and he was ‘bound out’ to a wagon maker, where he learned
that trade.

He was married in August, 1834 to Miss Jane Hale at Wilksbarre, PA. She died eight
months ago in Rock Falls. To this union there survive the following children: W.B.
Emmons of Rock Falls, L.L. Emmons, Jr. of Rock Falls, Mrs. M..H. Ward of Sterling,
Mrs. J.C. Buell of Rock Falls, and Miss Elizabeth Emmons of Rock Falls. All were
present at the time of his death.

Mr. Emmons was prominently identified with the early development and growth of
Sterling and Rock Falls. He was the second postmaster of Rock Falls, then Rapid City.
He built the first pine building in Sterling of shingles hauled overland from Chicago. He
served as supervisor of Coloma township continuously for fifteen years.
Being unable to enlist at the breaking out of the civil war because of nearsightedness,
Mr. Emmons was appointed deputy enrolling officer by Governor Yates for Whiteside
county, which position he held during the war.

He was always a strong republican and for a number of years was a member of
the republican state central committee. Before the war he operated a station of the
famous ‘Underground’ railway south of the river and assisted many slaves to get to

With the late Almon Wheeler, Mr. Emmons was instrumental in securing for Rock Falls
the C.B.&Q. railway. A warm personal friend of Abraham Lincoln and War Governor
Richard Yates, Mr. Emmons has entertained both on many occasions. When Abraham
Lincoln was circuit riding attorney, he made Mr. Emmons’ shop his headquarters when in
this city.

After a residence of twenty-five years in Sterling and Coloma, Mr. Emmons moved to
Montmorency township where he resided for ten years. Nineteen years ago he removed to
Rock Falls where he has since resided. Always very nearsighted, for the past three years
he has been totally blind. He retained his mental facilities to the last, however, and up
to ten minutes before he died he was able to converse with the members of his family.
During his early years he was a great reader and was well posted on all of the current
topics of the day.

Mr. Emmons was a man who was respected by all who knew him. His advice was greatly
sought for and he numbered his friends by the score. His death takes away one of the
oldest pioneers and best known men of Sterling and Coloma townships. Source: Sterling
Evening Gazette Thursday 27 October, 1904

TAMPICO AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY - MUSEUM - FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY/RESEARCH CENTER  119 Main St., P. O. Box 154,  Tampico, IL  61283   www.tampicohistoricalsociety.com   tampicoareahistory@gmail.com  We are an all-volunteer organization so your donations are always appreciated!  Sign up to receive our e-newsletter. Thank you!  Visit us on FACEBOOK.