Transcribed by: Fama Prokup & Submitted by: Robin Pardus
Republic of 9-3-1920
EMMA ARNETT BROOKS
Emma Arnett Brooks, daughter of the late William and Maria Arnett, was born in Loraine township, Henry county, Ill., Aug.. 26, 1863, and died Aug. 25, 1920, at her home. On November 8, 1887, she was united in marriage with Fred F. Brooks at Erie, Ill. Of this union five children were born all of whom are; Mrs. Iva Rivers, of Granger, Iowa, Mrs. Irma Withrow, of Erie, Harold, also of Erie, William and Helen, at home. Besides these she leaves her husband, one grandson, one brother Leonard Arnett, of Erie, a step-mother and two half brothers, Howard and Hollis, in Oklahoma. Three sisters, Mrs. Elsie Chambers, of Nebraska, Mrs. Eva Park, of Canada, and Mrs. Nettie Brooks, of Erie, preceded her in death a number of years ago. About two years ago Mrs. Brooks was stricken with paralysis, but had partially recovered and was able to attend to her household duties, until about two months ago she again failed. At the last she was only confined to her bed two days. She was a charter member of the Eastern Star of Portland township, holding her membership during its existence. She was also a member of the Erie Royal Neighbors, the Sharon Ladies Aid Society, and an active worker. She was a regular attendant of the Sharon church during the time there was an organization. For seven years she taught in the school of Henry county. Her whole life had been lived in that community where she was born. Funeral services were held at the house at 1 p.m. Sunday, and at the Sharon church at 1:30, conducted by Rev. Thomas Colley, pastor of the Erie Methodist church. The singing was by Mesdames Minnie Feaster, and Fannie Swederus, members of the Erie Methodist church choir, with Miss Susan Pierce as accompanist. The pall bearers were William and Harold Brooks, Bert Brooks, Leonard Arnett, Otis Withrow, and Edwin Ribers. There were many beautiful floral offerings from family and friends, testifying to the love and respect felt for the deceased. Among the special pieces were those from the Royal Neighbors and Aid Society. Burial was in the family lot in the Sharon cemetery.