Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County 1885
1 Feb 2005
The Building for the Insane
As the population of the county increased, so did the number of insane people, and it was deemed necessary to make some suitable provisions for them. The subject was brought to the attention of the Board of Supervisors, and they made an appropriation for a building which was to be erected on the Poor Farm. A committee was appointed to draw up plans and specifications for the building, and an estimate of the expense.
The plans and specifications, with an estimate of the cost, was presented to the Board at a special meeting held in December, 1874, and were adopted. The contract was let to Messrs. A. & J. A. McKay. In November,1875, the building was completed, and accepted by the committee.
The total cost of the building was $7,429.47. This building stands near the Farm house. It is a large two-story and basement structure, built of stone and brick. It contains 16cells, with large corridors and halls for the accommodation and recreation of the inmates.