Transcribed by Deb Thormahlen
7 Jun 2008
Samuel M. Ladd, jeweler and optician at Morrison, was born Nov. 15, 1857, in Cincinnati, Ohio, and is the son of John A. and Mary E. (Mott) Ladd. His father was one of the pioneer telegraphers in Chicago and the West, and for many years conductor and superintendent of railroad, and in charge of United States transportation during the War: he is now a resident of Sterling. He is one of the most prominent Masons in Illinois, being Grand High Priest of the State.
Mr. Ladd is the oldest of six children belonging to the family, of whom two are deceased. Marian E. lives in Morrison. Mabel E. and Fannie K. are the youngest children. The son completed his educational courses at the High School of Sterling, and in the spring of 1879 he entered the jewelry store of Clark & Giddings to learn the business, and passed two years in his apprenticeship. At the end of that time the firm of Sackett & Ladd was formed and they opened business at Sterling, continuing their relations and operations there three years.
In June, 1884, Mr. Ladd came to Morrison and established his business alone. He was a judiciously assorted stock and is doing a good business. He is one of the leaders in his line of traffic in the western part of Whiteside County, and is the only exclusive dealer in jewelry at Morrison. He makes a specialty of Johnson’s optical goods, and uses Dr. Johnson’s dioptic meter, to perfectly adjust glasses to the eye and determine the lens suited to the case. His stock includes a full line of fine goods, solid and plated ware, jewelry, watches and all other articles common to similar establishments.
Mr. Ladd is an earnest member of the Presbyterian Church. He takes a deep interest in Sunday-school matters and is the Secretary of the Central District Sunday-school organization.