5 Mar 2005
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885
Reproduced on CD purchased from "Old Glory Accents"
Transcribed by: Denise McLoughlin
Tampico Area Historical Society
Charles F. Adams, farmer, residing on section 13, Portland Township, has 332 acres of land in the township. He is a son of Abela and Olive (Hawes) Adams, and was born in Pittsford, Rutland Co., Vt., Aug. 24, 1829. In 1840 the family came to this county, and located in Portland Township, where his father bought a claim of 200 acres of land, located where the son, Charles F., now resides, on section 13. Both parents are still living, opposite their son, Charles F.
When 22 years of age he left home and bought an interest in a saw-mill in Portland Village, and was engaged in running the same for about six years. He then sold his mill property, and went to Colorado, where he was engaged in mining, and was quite successful. He remained in the latter State five years, and then returned to Portland Township, this county, where he purchased 92 acres of the present farm. He has since added 40 acres, by subsequent purchase, to his homestead, and is at present the owner of 322 acres in the township, and also 120 acres in Henry Co., Ill. He makes a specialty of fine Short-horn cattle, and has usually 50 head of graded, and one thoroughbred, and also about 70 hogs and several horses. He has a fine, well0imporved farm, good residence and buildings.
Mr. Adams was married in Portland Township, May 2, 1853, to Miss Sarah Brown. She was a daughter of Samuel A. and Betsey Brown, and was born in Pittsford, Rutland Co., Vt., Aug. 19, 1833. They have one child, a daughter, Katie E., born in Portland Township, March 30, 1855. She is the wife of J. V. Washburn, now a resident on the homestead. They were married April 2, 1885. He was Deputy Postmaster of Portland village six years, and Township Treasurer for eight years. The father or Mrs. Adams, wife of the subject of this notice, is deceased, and her mother resides in Rutland Co., Vt.