18 Mar 2005
Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Origianally published 1885
Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Reproduced on CD purchased from OLD GLORY ACCENTS
Transcribed by: Denise McLoughlin
Tampico Area Historical Society
John Ferguson, proprietor of the Revere House, Morrison, and a member of the Novelty Carriage Works Company, situated on Main Street, in that city, is a son of John and Jenett (Fairchild) Ferguson. His father was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, Nov. 1, 1804. He was a farmrer by occupation, and came to the United States in 1831, stopping first at Albany, N. Y., and he then came to Indiana, where he spent one year. He then moved further West, becoming one of the pioneers of the great State, Iowa. He located in Cedar County, in 1836, and was the second settler in that county. He was an active, enterprising man, and did much to deveop the country, which he had chosen for his home. He dealt very largely in land, handling several thousands of acres, during his active life, and was also a successful farmer. He retired from agricultural pursuits in 1880, and died on the old homestead, Sept. 11, 1884. The mother of our subject is also a native of Scotland, and at present resides with her son, Mr. Ferguson of this sketch, and is in her 60th year. The elder Ferguson and his wife, were the parents of eight children. The father was also the parent of four children by a former marriage. All of the eight children, born to Mr. and Mrs. Ferguson, are still living, of whom our subject is the eldes. Bessie, the next inorder of birth, is the wife of E. H. Jones, lumber dealer in Kingman, Kan.; Nellie J., wife of Barry D. Woods, grocer, Morrison, Ill.; Isabel, wife of James Albright, farmer, Ida co., Iowa; James D. and William A., resident on the old homestead, and Alice and Clara, now attending school at Mr. Carroll, Ill. The following are the names of the four children, by the firt marriage: Hugh, farmer in Ida Co., Iowa; Ann, wife of A. Rogers, farmer in Dakota; Mary, wife of R. M. Davidson, farmer, Cedar Co., Iowa; Margaret, wife of John G. Greig, farmer, Cedar Co., Iowa; all are living.
Mr. Ferguson, the subject of this personal sketch, was born in Cedar Co., Iowa, near Tipton, Dec. 7, 1848. He was reared on his father's farm, enjoying the limited eductional advantages offered at that time. When he reached the age of 21, he bought an interest in a drug store at Tipton, Iowa, which he retained until 1877, when on account of ill-health he was obliged to sell and select a different calling. For a period of one year following, he engaged in the lumber buisiness, and for the next two years conducted a farm. In December, 1881, he came to Morrison, and engaged in the grocery business in company with B. D. Woods. In October, 1882, he formed a partnership with John Clark, for the purpose of manufacturing carriages. In February, 1884, he sold his interest in the grocery business to Henry Meyers, and turned his entire attention to the carriage business, in which he was interested until he became the proprietor of the Rever House, Dec. 16, 1884. Mr. Ferguson still sustains his relation to the hotel, which is the leading place of public entertainment in the city.
Mr. Ferguson was united in marriage with Miss Ella M., daughter of John and Margaret Culbertson, at Tipton, Iowa, Nov. 12, 1872. Mrs. Ferguson was born at the place Oct. 28, 1849. Her father was the leading merchant of Tipton for 25 years, and about 1870 retired from active business. Mrs. Ferguson died at Tipton, Aug. 19, 1879, of pulmonary disease.