3 May 2005
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Transcribed by: Becky Jones
David C. Overholser, stock farmer and general agriculturist on section 9, Genesee Township, was born June 20, 1846, in Stark Co., Ohio. His parents, John and Julia A. (Weimer) Overholser, removed from there to Illinois in 1858, settling at Coleta. A personal account of them appears in another part of this work. They had 11 children. Mr. Overholser of this sketch is the third son and fifth child.
When he was 12 years of age the family, consisting of the parents and eight children, removed to Coleta, and he was educated primarily in the common schools of the township of Genesee. At the age of 20 years he entered the seminary at Mt. Morris, Ogle Co., Ill., where he studied two years, and, in the winter of 1866-7, he taught a term of school near Polo, Ill. He went to Western Iowa in the spring following, and, associated with his brother, Joseph, he embarked in a mercantile enterprise. Their relation existed about 18 months and was dissolved by mutual consent.
Mr. Overholser was married Oct. 3, 1869, in Johnson Co., Iowa, to Elizabeth A. Bowersox and they have become the parents of seven children, whose record is as follows: Waldo A. was born July 9, 1870; James Elery, Nov. 5, 1871; Maggie B., Dec. 20, 1873; John D., Nov. 4, 1875; Julia S., June 9, 1877; Ralph E., May 3, 1881; Frederick R., Oct. 25, 1882.
Mrs. Overholser was born Nov. 11, 1848, in Augusta, Va., and is the daughter of James E. and Mary M. (Shuey) Bowersox. They were of German ancestry and descent, and were born respectively in Maryland and Virginia. The former was a minister in the United Brethren Church. They were married in Virginia, and in 1854 went with their family of four children to Iowa, settling in Johnson County. Mrs. Overholser was educated in Linn and Johnson Counties, completing her studies at Western College in the former. She afterwards taught school. Her father died in the fall of 1880; her mother is still living.
Mr. and Mrs. Overholser came to Illinois after their marriage, and located on 132 acres of land situated on section 9, of which they became the owners by purchase a year later. The place was at that time partially improved, and it now contains 215 acres, all of which is under tillage. The place is well stocked.
Politically, Mr. Overholser is a decided Republican, and he has been Township Trustee three terms and has also officiated as Collector.