3 May 2005
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Transcribed by: Becky Jones
John S. Green, dealer in drugs, books and stationery, at Morrison, and senior member of the firm of J.S. Green & Co., grain, lumber and coal merchants at the same place, was born Dec. 13, 1831, in Walton, Delaware Co., N. Y., and is the son of Thomas J. and Delilah N. (Fitch) Green. His father was a native of Vermont, where he was born Feb. 10, 1810. He went in early life to Walton, where he was married, his wife being a native of that place (born in July, 1812). In 1842 the family removed to Deposit, in the same State, where the demise of both parents occurred,--that of the mother being in 1870, and that of the father in May, 1877. They had eight children, of whom six survive. Mr. Green of this sketch is the oldest. Sherman K. is a boot and shoe dealer at Kansas City, Mo. Charles H. is a salesman with the latter. Elizabeth N. is the wife of Lyman M. Fitch, a farmer of Walton, N. Y. Emma M. is the wife of Charles H. Bradshaw, of Galesburg, Ill. Eliza J. is unmarried.
Mr. Green was about ten years of age when his parents removed from his native place to Deposit. His education was conducted with the judgment which characterizes the better classes in the mental training of their children, and he was sent for several years to an academy. After completing his course of study, he obtained a position as clerk and later as a station agent on the line of the Erie Railroad, in which capacity he operated until he was about 25 years of age. In 1857 he went to Kansas City, Mo., where he was occupied as a book-keeper, and also became interested in speculations in real estate, in which he was occupied until the war between the North and South destroyed all business relations in the latter section.
In April, 1862, Mr. Green closed his affairs in Missouri and came to Morrison. He formed a business opening in the drug trade, in which he has since been interested, purchasing the stock of Dr. W. L. Coe. His business has been uniformly prosperous and the average value of the stock he carries is about $10,000. He employs three assistants and occupies the two lower stories and cellar of the building of which he is the proprietor. It is constructed of brick and is 21 by 52 feet in size. In December, 1883, the business firm of J. S. Green & Co. was formed, comprising Mr. Green, W.F. Johnson, a commission merchant of Chicago, and M.H. Potter, of Morrison. The business transactions of the house are extensive and include traffic in grain, coal, lumber, lime, salt, cement and all other building materials. In the last named commodities (builders’ supplies) they hold a monopoly at Morrison, no other establishment in the city being similarly engaged. Their facilities for the transaction of their business are complete and consist of an elevator, lumber and coal-yard with sheds, limehouse and dry-lumber room 50 by 98 feet in extent, the whole occupying an area of about two acres.
Mr. Green has been actively interested in municipal affairs since his location at Morrison and has served 12 years as City Treasurer. He has been Alderman two terms and officiated in other minor positions.
Jan. 5, 1864, Mr. Green formed a matrimonial alliance with Nellie A., daughter of Harvey E. and Wealthy A. Williams. Their marriage took place at Dixon, Ill. Mrs. Green was born Oct. 31, 1844, in Genesee Co., N.Y. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Green as follows: Harvey S., April 9, 1866; Ivy, July 6, 1869; Olive, June 28, 1877; and Florence M., Feb. 18, 1881.