7 May 2005
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Transcribed by: Becky Jones
George S Hoover, farmer on section 22, Sterling Township, is an enterprising agriculturist of Whiteside County. He moved here in 1855, and is now the proprietor of 350 acres of land, all lying in the township of Sterling and all under improvements. In politics Mr. Hoover is a Republican and supports the general and local issues of that party.
He was born Feb. 14, 1823, in Bedford Co., Pa., and is the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Sprecher) Hoover. His parents were natives of Lancaster Co., Pa., moved to Bedford County, that State, in 1821, and were residents there until 1855, when they came to Illinois, and settled on section 22, in the township of Sterling. They died on the homestead. Their ten children were named William, Catherine, George S., Samuel M., Sarah, John W., Louisa, David C., Elizabeth A. and Henry H.
Mr. Hoover was educated principally at the common schools of his native county, and afterward was a farmer in Pennsylvania for a time. He engaged about two years there in mercantile business. After coming to Whiteside County, he engaged in the same interest in Sterling about two years, and afterwards as a butcher. Later, he engaged in farming on section 22, Sterling Township.
His marriage took place Dec. 18, 1862, at Martinsburg, Blair Co., Pa., when Christine S., daughter of Jacob and Margaretta (Glazier) Grafins, became his wife. The parents were born in Pennsylvania, where their entire lives were passed. Mrs. Hoover had two brothers and two sisters, as follows: Anna M., Ellen M., Martin and Silas, all younger than herself. She was born Jan. 28, 1833, in Mifflin Co., Pa., and to her and her husband four children have been born named Edward S., Harry G., Martin G. and Frank W.
Mr. Hoover has held the office of Road Commissioner and School Director. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.