Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside Co. 1885
5 Jun 2005
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Transcribed by: Becky Jones Pages 193-194
David B. Arrell is one of the most prosperous and enterprising farmers in Garden Plain Township. He was born in the township of Veale in Daviess Co. Ind., Sept. 20, 1821. His parents, James and Sarah (Crab) Arrell, were natives of the township of Fallowfield, Washington Co., Pa., and emigrated thence to Indiana about 1817, traveling on flat-boats on the Monongahela and Ohio Rivers to Evansville on the latter, whence they went to Daviess County with teams. They located in Daviess County and were pioneers, building a log house in the depths of the timber. The structure was built without nails, covered with clapboards and had a puncheon floor. The door was furnished with a wooden latch, and the trite saying that “its string was always out,” may be accepted in all its significations. The family left Indiana in 1823, returning to Pennsylvania.
So far as can be ascertained the first representatives of the name of Arrell in America were two brothers, Edward and William Arrell, who came from County Derry, Ireland, to America in 1774. They were descendants of the Scotch who went to the north of the Green Isle to escape the persecutions of the “kirk” in 1619, and who experienced perplexities scarcely less oppressive from the taxation of the Established Church, which presented their assimilation in any degree with the people of the country where they first sought refuge, for a long period of time. Hence the first Scotch-Irish who settled in America had no mixture of Irish blood in their veins. They were Scotch who were born in Ireland. Edward Arrell, paternal grandfather of Mr. Arrell of this sketch, espoused the cause of the Colonists in their rebellion against British oppression. He was employed in the commissary department at Bunker Hill, and while driving his team on the retreat his wagon tipped over. He restored its equilibrium, filled it with wounded soldiers and the procession made good its escape. He located after the war was done in Fayette Co., Pa. After his marriage he secured a claim of land on Maple Creek, in Fallowfield Township. He improved a farm on which he lived until his life’s journey closed.
His children numbered seven—four sons and three daughters. James and Sarah Arrell became the parents of seven children. Following is the record of those of the number who survive: Matilda is the wife of William Wood, and they reside on a part of the homestead in Daviess Co., Ind. David B. is the oldest surviving son. Alice married Hon. John B. Scudder, of Daviess Co., Ind. Nancy is the widow of Fenwick Alexander. Rachel is the wife of G. McIlvaine, of Washington Co., Pa. William Arrell, the brother of Edward, settled in Chambersburg, Pa. He had three sons and one daughter. Only one of his sons was married. The son John located near Poland, Ohio, where some of his descendants yet reside. Mr. Arrell of this sketch was two years of age when his parents went to Pennsylvania. After a residence there of seven years, the family returned to Daviess Co., Ind., where the son remained until he was 18. He returned to Pennsylvania in 1839 to live with his aunts. In 1846 he was married to Margaret J., daughter of Baptiste and Nancy (Arrell) Hopper. The year following they went to Monongahela City, where they resided until 1853. In that year they came to Illinois and fixed their first place of abode near Albany. Mr. Arrell bought a tract of unimproved land on section 32, of Garden Plain Township, of which he took possession in 1857. On taking up his residence thereon, he at once proceeded to put the place in the best condition for occupation and successful management. The entire property is in advanced cultivation and fitted with the best type of modern farm fixtures.
Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Arrell. Those now living are as follows: Effie is the wife of Dr. J. B. Ewing, of Uniontown, Fayette Co., Pa. Hopper is married and lives in Newton Township. Gertrude married B. H. Quick, of Moline. David B., Jr., resides at home.