Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside Co. 1885
10 Jun 2005
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Transcribed by: Becky Jones
J.M. Martin, merchant at Sterling, was born in Franklin Co., Pa., Nov. 13, 1841. His father, Joseph R. Martin, died in January, 1877; and his mother, whose maiden name was Martha Meshy, is still living. Both his parents were natives of the Keystone State, and had seven sons and four daughters. At the age of seven years, the subject of this notice left home and lived until 15 years old with Michael Ebersole, a farmer.
He continued in agricultural pursuits until the summer of 1862, when he enlisted for the Government in the 126th Reg. Pa. Vol. Inf., Co. A. He went from Chambersburg to Harrisburg, where he was mustered into service. After remaining in camp three weeks at Arlington Heights, he went to Leesburg, Va., where he participated in the second battle of Bull Run. He was then ordered back to Washington and to Antietam, where he was held in reserve in camp on the battlefield, until October, when he went up the Loudoun Valley and thence to Fredericksburg. Engaging in action at the latter place he received a wound and was confined six weeks in the hospital. He returned to his regiment in time to engage in the battle of Chancellorsville, soon after his term of enlistment (nine months) expired and he was mustered out at Harrisburg. In the summer of 1864, he came to Freeport, Ill., and in February, 1865, re-enlisted, in the 147th Regt. Ill. Vol. Inf., went to Nashville, Tenn., and Dalton, Ga., where he received a commission as Second Lieutenant of Co., E, of the 147th. After a delay of two months at Dalton and a month at Resaca, he went with a detachment to Albany, Ga., and with the remainder of the regiment to Americus, same State, where he was appointed Adjutant for the battalion; and after serving a month in this capacity he was appointed Assistant Provost Marshal for Starkville, Lee Co., Ga. Three months afterward he returned to his regiment, which soon was moved to Savannah, Ga., where Mr. Martin did Provost duty in the city until 1866, when the regiment was mustered out.
Returning to Freeport for a month, he came to Sterling and acted as clerk in a grocery store during the summer (1866); next, in the same capacity for Carpenter & Edison until 1874; then he went to California and was employed for two months in the freight office of the Central Pacific Railroad; and then served as station agent at Modesto, Ca., until the fall of 1875, when he came to Sterling and engaged again as clerk for E.W. Edison. In the spring of 1877 he was employed as salesman for M.B. Rutt & Co., of Sterling, for a year, and then he formed a parternship with D.B. Strickler in the dry-goods business. Two years afterward C.A. Sheeting purchased Strickler’s interest, who in turn sold to Mr. Kintzle, and the firm name became Martin & Kintzle, the present style. Their store, 40 X 90 feet, is at Nos. 118 and 120, Locust Street, and they are carrying on a prosperous business on honorable principles.
Mr. Martin is a Republican and a member of the Masonic Order. April 17, 1878, he married Miss Emma Sheeting, of Freeport, and they have one daughter, born Dec. 10, 1881.