5 Jul 2005
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Transcribed by: Becky Jones
John Weaver, a farmer on section 24, Sterling Township, has been a preacher in the Reformed Mennonite Church for 20 years. He was born Oct. 12, 1806, in Lancaster Co., Pa., and his parents, John and Barbara (Landis) Weaver, were natives of the same State where they passed their entire lives. Four of their children lived to maturity,--John, David, Henry and Nancy. Mr. Weaver was brought up a farmer and engaged in that calling in his native State until his removal in 1854 to Whiteside County. He bought 270 acres of land in the same township of which he is now a resident, and his estate in Whiteside County includes 817 acres of land, all of which is in Sterling Township. He is also the owner of 150 acres of land in Lee County. Nearly all his estate is under tillage.
The first marriage of Mr. Weaver took place March 3, 1831, to Anna Snavely. She was born in Pennsylvania, and bore eight children, named Benjamin, Abram S., John S., Frank S., Elizabeth and Israel. Two children died in infancy, and Israel when a small boy. The mother died in Lancaster Co., Pa. He was again married in the same county, to Fanny Hoover, also a native of the same State. One child born to them died in infancy. The mother died Aug. 11, 1882.