8 Jul 2005
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Transcribed by: Becky Jones
Philip H. Smith, of the firm of Hull & Smith, dealers in drugs, medicines, notions, paints, oils, jewelry, etc., at Prophetstown, is a son of Adam and Catherine (Berner) Smith, and was born in Niagra Co., N.Y., near Lockport, Dec. 26, 1844. His father was a native of Germany, a farmer by occupation and at present resides in Boone Co., Iowa, retired from the active labors of life. His mother was also a native of Germany, and is still living. The issue of their union was nine children, six of whom are living.
When Mr. Smith was six months old, his parents came West to Cook Co., Ill., where they resided about 20 years, his father owning a farm some 20 miles from the city of Chicago. In 1861 the family moved to Henry County, this State, where Mr. Smith of this notice had purchased a farm of 120 acres, and subsequently increased his acreage in that county until he owned 280 acres. He resided in Henry County until 1875, when he came to Prophetstown and in company with J. J. Green opened a general store, which they conducted until the fall of 1881. In the spring of 1884, Mr. Smith formed a partnership with H. C. Hull in the drug business, which relation exists at the present writing. They erected their fire-proof store building, and carry a stock approximating $3,000 in drugs and fancy goods.
Mr. Smith still owns a farm in Bureau County, and, in connection with J. J. Green, 123 acres in Henry County. Socially, he is a member of the Order of Modern Woodmen of America.