21 Jul 2005
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Transcribed by: Becky Jones
Nelon Cleveland, a farmer on sections 19 and 30, Hume Township, was born near Rome, N. Y., Dec. 20, 1845. In 1850 his father, David Cleveland, came to Whiteside County, and, after locating a farm in the township of Hume, returned to the State of New York to make the necessary preparations for the removal of his family to the West, which purpose was accomplished in 1852. The family consisted of the mother, Mrs. Amy (Hawkins) Cleveland, and ten children. Three children had died in infancy. David Cleveland was a relative of Stephen Grover Cleveland, President of the United States. He was one of the first extensive land-holders in Hume Township, his original claim consisting of 300 acres of land, which he improved from the unbroken prairie. He died Dec. 15, 1878, aged 77 years. His wife died Aug. 28 of the following year, when she was 73 years of age.
Mr. Cleveland was seven years of age when his parents came to Hume Township and he was an inmate of the parental home until he became the head of an independent household, when he was 24 years of age.
He was married Feb. 22, 1870, at Prophetstown, to Fanny Z. Humaston. Her parents, Ephraim and Frances (Pember) Humaston, were natives of New York, where all the after incidents of their lives transpired until their removal to Whiteside County. Mrs. Cleveland was born Feb. 26, 1846, near Vienna, Oneida Co.,N.Y. She was the seventh of a family of nine children, and was principally educated in her native county, coming West with her parents when she was 15 years of age. They made their first stop near Aurora, Kane Co., Ill., and in the year following came to Prophetstown, where they passed the remaining years of their lives. The father died in May, 1880; the death of the mother occurred Aug. 15, 1875. Their two children are, Charles D., who was born July 6, 1874; and Jesse E., who died in infancy. Two years after their marriage they moved from Prophetstown to the township of Hume, and rented a farm for three years. In August, 1882, they took possession of the Cleveland homestead, which included 320 acres, all under good improvement, becoming its owner by purchase. Mr. Cleveland is engaged also in feeding and raising Durham cattle.
In political faith he is a Democrat. Mrs. Cleveland is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.