25 Jul 2005
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Transcribed by Brandi McLoughlin
B. Ferris, deceased, was for many years extensively engaged in agriculture in this county, on section 13, Tampico Township. He was born in Franklin Co., Ind., March 18, 1822. He was reared upon the farm, attending to the duties that fell to the lot of farmers' boys, and going to school during the winter months. In this way, he developed an excellent manhood, and obtained a good common-school education. After his marriage, which even occurred Dec. 28, 1848, Mr. Ferris continued to reside on a farm in his native county until 1873. Thinking to better his condition, or at least have a wider field to labor in, he came further West, selecting Tampico Township, Whiteside County, as a place for his home. Here he settled on a large farm, containg 680 acres of land, his resience being located on section 13. He improved the entire acreage, and developed it to that degree that it took rank among the valuable farms of Whiteside County, which as a matter of fact, contains as finely improved an agricultural district as there is in the great Prairie State. Mr. Ferris continued to reside upon this farm, enjoying the fruits of his hard and honest labor, until May 18, 1877, when he was relieved from further toil by death. At that time he was 55 years and two months old.
Mr. F. was united in marriage with Miss Martha J. Currey, in Franklin Co., Ind., on the date above mentioned. Mrs. Ferris was born inFranklin County, Aug. 9, 1829. Her father was a farmer, and she lived upon the home farm with her parents until her marriaage. She is the mother of nine children, two of whom are deceased. The following is the record of those living: Edwin is married, and lives in Canton, Dak.; Ralph, married, and residing in Montmorency Township; John S., married and lives in Hahnaman Township; Albert, Lucy and Mary are also married and reside in this county; Noble is living at home with his mother. Mrs. Ferris possesses rare business ability, and has managed the affairs of her late husband with great credit. Both she and her husband were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Ferris was a Republican in politics. Considering the brief period that Mr. Ferris resided in Whiteside County he was widely and favorably known. On coming he entered into sympathy with every movement to develp and improve both the material wealth and social and moral standing of the community. He was esteemed as a friend and neighbor, and loved as a husband, and in recognition of his services and position as a citizen of the county, we take pleasure in presenting a portrait in this Album, which appears in connection with this sketch.