Biographies of Whiteside County, IL 1885
Welcome to Tampico, Illinois
Biographies Whiteside Co 1885 > Edwin A. Worrell

9 Aug 2005

Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois
Originally published 1885
Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Reproduced on CD purchased from OLD GLORY ACCENTS

Transcribed by: Denise McLoughlin
Tampico Area Historical Society

Pages 718-719

Edwin A. Worrell, of the firm of Baker & Worrell, buyers and shippers of stock, at Morrison, was born Nov. 12, 1843, near Chesterfield, Jefferson Co., Ohio. His parents, Isaiah C. and Elmira (Kirk) Worrell, were both natives of Ohio, and both belonged to the Society of Friends or Quakers. In 1851 they removed thence to Fulton Co., Ill., where they engaged in farming. In 1853 they made another removal, to Hubbard's Grove, in Jordan Township, Whiteside County, where the father purchased 80 acres of land and where the family lived about three years. They went thence successfully to the townships of Sterling and Montmorency and Hume, and made a final location in Rock Falls, where the senior Worrell died, and where the mother still lives.

Mr. Worrell was reared on the various farms on which the family were resident; and before the termination of the obligations of his minority, his native country was in the throes of civil war. Shortly after he had passed his 20th birthday, in November, 1863, he entered the Union Army, enlisting as a private in Co. C, 8th Regt. Ill. Cavalry and continued in the service until the close of the war, receiving his final discharge in July, 1865. The command was sent to the Army of the Potomac, and Mr. Worrell was under rebel fire through the battles of the Wilderness, at Menoxa Junction, Upperville, Fredericks City, Tonleytown and elsewhere, besides being engaged in a number of skirmishes. On being mustered out of the military service of his country, he returned to Whiteside County and passed some time in traveling through  the West for the purposes of prospecting, locating finally in Whiteside County.

In December, 1866, he was apponted Deputy Sheriff of Whiteside County by L. A. Lincoln, then Sheriff, and after operating in that capacity two years, in the fall of 1868, he was nominated on the Republican ticket for Sheriff. He made a successful campaign and was successively renominated five times, serving in the office six terms, or 12 years. In 1880, succeeding his last offical term, he was again renominated in the convention by acclamation, but declined to permit  the use of his name a seventh time. Soon after vacating his office of Sheriff, he became interested in traffic in Western land, and in the spring of 1881, he removed to Unionville in Union Grove Township, where he purchased  a residence and remained until July, 1884, when he became a resident of Morrison once more. During his residence at Unionville he continued  his operations in real estate, going in 1882 to Dakota, where he entered 320 acres of land. On removal to Morrison he exchanged his property at Perry, Iowa, for 240 acres of land in Union Grove Township, situated on section 21, of which he is still the owner. The place is fine and valuable, as is the estate he still holds in Dakota. He is the owner of two dwellings and three lots therewith connected, at Morrison. In November, 1884, he formed his present business association with B. G. Baker, and they have since operated successfully in stock. Mr. Worrell is a member of the Masonic fraternity at Morrison and of Alpheus Clark Post, No. 118, G.A.R. He has officiated two years as City Councilman, and is now a member of the Board of Education.

The marriage of Mr. Worrell to Lucretia  M. Lincoln took place on Sept. 7, 1869. She was born in Stephenson Co., Ill., and is the daughter of Lester and Julana Lincoln. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Worrell were born as follows: Clifford L., Harry H., Annie, Belle and Florence.

The mother of Mr. Worrell was a sister of General Edward N. Kirk, who received his death wound in the battle of Murfreesboro, Tenn. Two of his brothers, James and Albert Worrell, were members of Co. A, 34th Regt. Ill. Inf., and the latter was wounded at at the battle of Lookout Mountain. They both live in Whiteside County.

TAMPICO AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY - MUSEUM - FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY/RESEARCH CENTER  119 Main St., P. O. Box 154,  Tampico, IL  61283  President Joan Johnson, 815-438-7581 or  Family History Coordinator, Denise McLoughlin 815-718-3617. We are an all-volunteer organization so your donations are always appreciated!  Sign up to receive our e-newsletter. Thank you!  Visit us on FACEBOOK, too.