11 Aug 2005
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album, Whiteside Co., IL
Originally published 1885 - Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Reproduced on CD - Purchased CD from "Old Glory Accents"
Transcribed by: Denise McLoughlin
Tampico Area Historical Society
Wesley Robinson, a prominent farmer on section 12, Clyde Township, was born March 20, 1820, in the village of Manchester, Dearborn Co., Ind. Stephen Robinson, his father, was a native of Maine, and was of mixed English and Scotch lineage. He was married in the State of his nativity to Mahitabel Plumer, also born in the Pine-Tree State. She was of English extraction. Some years after their marriage they removed to Indiana, where the mother died, at the place alread recorded as the birthplace of the son, in the spring of 1842. In 1850 the father removed to Illinois and was a member of his son's household until his death, about 1857, when he was nearly 87 years of age. They had six children, five sons and a daughter.
Mr. Robinson is the second oldest child, and remained under the authority of his parents until 1843. wen he removed to Lee Co., Iowa, where he spent some years as a general laborer. He then yielded to a fancy to try life on the river, and he engaged in boating. His route terminated at New Orleans, where he has passed several winters after having been occupied as a boatman through the summers.
In the spring of 1844, he came to Whiteside County and located near Sterling, where he fixed his residence. In April, 1847, he was married to Maria, daughter of Martin and Lois (Waite) Montgomery. Her father was of Irish extraction and was born in Vemont. Her mother was of mixed Welsh and French origin and was born in Rhode Island. After their marriage theysettled inRoxbury, Delawaare Co., N.Y., and at that place Mrs. Robinson was born, Nov. 6, 1818. In 1839 her father moved his wordly belongings to Illinois, his family accompanying him, with the exception of two children. The family located near Sterling.
Three years after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Robinson removed to Clyde Township, where they took up their abode on 241 acresof unbroken prairie, situated on sesction 11, 12, 13 and 14. Nearly all the place is under cultivation and it is fairly stocked.
Frank C. Robinson is the only child of his parents, and he was born Sept. 4, 1855. He was married Mach 20, 1878, to Millie E. Barrett. They located on h is father's farm in Whiteside, where she became the mother of a child, who is also deceased. She died in Wheaton, Ill., in 1881, where she went for medical treatent. The son resides on the homestead. Father and son are Republicans in political principle.