12 Aug 2005
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album, Whiteside Co., IL
Originally published 1885 - Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Reproduced on CD - Purchased CD from "Old Glory Accents"
Transcribed by: Denise McLoughlin
Tampico Area Historical Society
Dr. R. E. Robinson, physician and surgeon at Albany, was born Dec. 19, 1848, in Mercersburg, Franklin Co., Pa., and is the son of M. F. and Martha (Rankin) Robinson. His father was a medical practioner, and a graduate from Washington College, in Baltimore, Md.
Dr. Robinson obtained his elementary education in the public schools, and afterwards improved his supply of knowledge at the Normal and Classical School at Newville, Pa. He began to study for his profession under the instructions of his father. He attended his first course of lectures at Jefferson College, Philadelphia, finishing his course at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, whence he graduated March 30, 1870, and began his career as a practitioner as his father's associate in Newville, remaining with him a few months. In the fall of the same year, he came to Albany and opened his business. In the spring of the year following, he formed a partnership with Dr. H. M. Booth, and their connection was in existence three years. In the autumn of 1874, he went to Pennsylvania and embarked in the sale of drugs, and also in the practice of medicine, successively at Mt. Holly Springs and Newville, remaining in his native State until the fall of 1880, when he returned to Albany and resumed his practice.
Dr. Robinson was married in October, 1870, to Annie W. Woodburn, a native of Newville, Cumberland Co., Pa. Their five children are named Laura E., Mary M., Robert B. Arthur W., Annie R. and Nellie.