20 Aug 2005
Source: PORTRAIT & BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF WHITESIDE COUNTY, IL
Originally published 1885
Transcribed by: Denise McLoughlin
Tampico Area Historical Society
Levi D. Baldwin, dealer in coal, feed, flour and meal, lime and cement at Lyndon, became a resident of that place in 1873. In 1879 he bought the business interests he is now conducting of G. W. Fitch. He is the owner of a considerable amount of village property, which he purchased at various times.
Mr. Baldwin was born Oct. 1, 1825, in Manchester, Bennington Co., Vt. His parents, Silas G. Nd Hannah (Church) Baldwin, were both born in the same state. His paternal grandfather was a native of England, and in company with two brothers came to America. They resided for a time in Connecticut and removed thence to Washington Co., Vt., going from there to Windham County, where the grandaire died. Mr. Baldwin was but six years old when his mother died, and his father went soon after to Jamaica, in Windham County, where he was agin married. Mr. Baldwin began to take care of himself when but nine years old, obtaining work in summer and attending school in winter. In 1842 he left his native State and went to Massachusetts, where he remained three years, returning at the expiation of that time to Vermont.
Mr. Baldwin formed a matrimonial alliance Nov. 4, 1845, with Samantha Hogeboon. He remained in Vermont until 1855, and during the last year of his stay in that State he worked as a brick and plaster mason. On coming to Illinois he purchased a considerable acreage of land in Fairfield Township, Bureau County, consisting of both wild and improved land. He began to apply himself industriously as a farmer and also worked at the trade of a mason. In 1871 he sold his farm and went to Washington County, whence he returned after a stay of eighteen months to Burea County. In February, 1872, he came to the township of Lyndon, this county. Mrs. Baldwin is the daughter of John Hogeboon, a member of the family of his son-in-law, and 91 years of age.