20 Aug 2005
Source: PORTRAIT & BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF WHITESIDE COUNTY, IL
Originally published 1885
Transcribed by: Denise McLoughlin
Tampico Area Historical Society
Orson G. Baldwin, residing in Prophetstown, is the son of Harley M. And Eliza S. (Sherman) Baldwin, and was born in Hinesburg, Chittenden Co., Vt. Dec. 13, 1845. He was reared on a farm, and in 1867 left home and came west to Prophetstown, this county, where his brother, Sherman, had preceded him, and formed a partnership with him in the general mercantile business. They were very successful in trade, and in 1872 erected the brick building the brother now occupies. Mr. Baldwin retired from the business July 19, 1884, which at that time was the leading commercial house in town.
Since his retirment from the mercantile business, Mr. Baldwin has dealt largely in stocks, and has interested himseslf in farming. He has 80 acres of land, one-half mile south of Prophetstown, and also owns, in connection with his brother, 320 acres of land in Woodbury Co., Iowa. Himself and wife are the joint owners of 160 acres of land, in Suez Township, Mercer County, this State. Mr. Baldwin also owns a fine residence in the northern part of Prophetstown, and a store building on Washington Street. He is a member of the Masonic Order, belonging to the Royal Arch Chapter; he was also a member of the Town Board two terms.
Mr. Baldwin was united in marriage in Prophetstown, Oct. 20, 1869, to Miss J. Mina Shaw, and they have two children - Blance, born Nov. 7, 1870, and Beth, born Aug. 13, 1875. Mrs. Baldwin died in Prophetstown, July 4, 1881, and Mr. Baldwin was again married, in Aledo, Mercer Co. Ill., Feb. 20, 1884, to Miss Vesta Ransom. She is a daughter of Asa W. and E. Susan Ransom, and was born in Suez Township, Mercer Co. Ill., Nov. 22, 1859, and was one of eight children born to her parents.
When the First National Bank of Prophetstown was organized he became a stockhold, and continued as such during its existence.