20 Aug 2005
Source: PORTRAIT & BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF WHITESIDE COUNTY, IL
Originally published 1885
Transcribed by: Denise McLoughlin
Tampico Area Historical Society
Sherman G. Baldwin, dealer in general merchandise at Prophetstown, and Supervisor of the township, is a son of Harley M. And Eliza S. (Sherman) Baldwin, and was born in Hinesburg, Chittenden Co., Vt. Nov. 26, 1843. His father was born Oct. 4, 1804, and was a farmer by occupation. His mother was a native of Rozbury, Conn., and was born May 5, 1808, and resides in Hinesburg, Vt., Jan. 24, 1874. They had eight children, six of whom survive: Myron H., a merchant in Lincoln, Neb.; Mary E., wife of Lewis Sanctuary, a boot and shoe dealer, residing in Hinesburg, Vt.; Susan A. Ray, a widow, and resides in Burlington, Vt.; Orson G. resides in Prophetstown; Sherman G. Is the subject of this notice; Frederic W., a farmer, and resides in Lincoln, Neb.
Mr. Baldwin was reared on a farm and received the advantages afforded by the common schools. When 18 years of age, he enlisted in Co. G, 14th Vt. Vol. Inf., as a private, and served in the Army of the Potomac about one year, receiving his discharge July 30, 1863, at Brattleboro, Vt. He participated in the battle of Gettysburg. On receiving his discharge, he returned to Vermont, and in October of the same year came to this county and located at Morrison, where he had a sister (wife of C. W. Sholes). Soon afterward he went to Fulton, this county, and was employed as clerk in the mercantile establishment of Rice Bros. Remaining with them for three years. He then went to Davenport, Iowa, was there engaged in thedry-goods house of Wadsworth & Co. One year, when he returned to Morrison and was employed by Charles Spears for a short time. He then went to Prophetstown, and in April, 1867, in company with his brother, Orson G., opened a general store. In 1871 they built the fine brick he now occupies, 24x75 feet in dimensions, being two stories with basement and a brick warehouse adjoining 18x60. They enlarged their business from a $2,000 stock to about $20,000, and largely engaged in buying and shipping produce. In July, 1884, his brother retired from the business. Mr. Baldwin employs three assistants, carries a line of groceries, dry-goods, ready-made clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, carpets (on second floor), and does an annual business approximating $60,000. He owns his residence, two lots on Second Street, also 320 acres of land in Woodbury Co., Iowa. He is a member of the Masonic Order, Blue Lodge, Royal Arch Chapter 174, Prophetstown, and Sterling Commandery, No. 57; also a member of the A. O. U. W.
Mr. Baldwin was united in marriage in Prophetstown, March 27, 1872, to Miss Laura C. Brace, a native of Cook Co., Ill., and born Jan. 29, 1849. They have four children, born in Prophetstown: Kate, Dec. 23, 1872; Cass, June 3, 1875; Mary, April 9, 1878; and Louane, July 18, 1881. When the First National Bank of Prophetstown was organized, he was astock-holder and director, and continued to be such until the bank was changed to a private one. He was appointed as Supervisor to fill a vacancy in 1879, and in 1880 was elected to the position and has been re-elected each term since.
Politically, Mr. Baldwin is identified with the interests of the Republican part, and at the last Republican National Convention held at Chicago, and also at the State Conventions of 1880 and 1884, he was a Delegate.