2 Apr 2006
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois - 1885
Transcribed by: Jaunice Minor
William H. CADWELL, Justice of the Peace, Notary Public and Clerk of the Village of Rock Falls, was born December 28, 1826, at Hartford, Conn., of which place his parents – Charles and Annie T. (BENTON) CADWELL – were also natives. Mr.CADWELL received a very limited common-school education. Being at the age of 12 years thrown upon his own resources, having to look out for himself, he entered a printing-office, where he remained nearly three years, at the expiration of which time he found employment in a map-publishing house for another year. At the age of 16 years he apprenticed himself to his uncle, Daniel FISH, and completed his trade as a pastry baker and confectioner.
In 1848 Mr. CADWELL married Miss Catharine FISH, of Boston, Mass., by whom he has one daughter, Nellie Frances; she married Mr. W. H. TUTTLE in 1871, with whom Mr. CADWELL is now residing, having lost his wife by death on the 5th of March, 1884. Soon afterward he assumed control of the manufacturing department of his uncle’s business. Having a desire to better his condition in life, he took Horace GREELEY'S advice, packed up, and, with his wife and child, his sister and her family, started West, arriving in Belvidere, Boone County, this State, in the spring of 1856, where he again conducted his business, in connection with ice-cream parlors and a news room.
Soon after the breaking out of the war he was appointed agent of the American Express Company, at about which time the printing establishment then known as the Belvidere Union came into his possession, and the name changed to the Boone County Advertiser. In 1868 he disposed of the office to a syndicate of Democrats, to boom the nomination of Horatio SEYMOUR for President. After the election of GRANT the establishment again came into the hands of Mr CADWELL, who discontinued the paper. In 1870 he formed a partnership with Mr. W. H. TUTTLE, and moved the establishment with his family to Rock Falls, and started the first newspaper published on the south side of Rock River, naming it the Rock Falls Progress. After conduction the paper for six years and six months, it was discontinued and the partnership dissolved, Mr. CADWELL continuing in the job-printing business.
In 1882 Mr. CADWELL was elected justice of the Peace to fill a vacancy. At the spring election of the present year (1885), Mr. CADWELL was elected his own successor. He also is appointed by Governor OGLESBYa Notary Public, also for four years, and again re-elected Village Clerk. Politically, he is a republican and takes an active interest in matters pertaining to the growth and prosperity of the Republican Party, and the village and town in which he resides. Socially, he is a member of the Order of Odd Fellows: was an active worker for the organization of Advance Lodge, No. 590, of which he was the first presiding officer; is also a member of the Grand Lodge of Illinois. He is also the first Master Workman of Union Lodge, No. 3, A.O.U.W., of Sterling, the organization of which is due to his labor. He was sent from No. 3 as a delegate for the organization of the Grand Lodge of Illinois, of which organization he was made the first Past Grand Master of the State; also the first Representative from the Grand Lodge to the Supreme Lodge of the United States, meeting at Cincinnati in 1875, which position he filled for three successive terms.