21 Jun 2007
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Transcribed by: Becky Jones
T A Hardin, of the banking house of T. A. Hardin & Co., Fulton, was born in McDonough Co., Ill., Feb. 14, 1845, and is the son of Victor M. and Nancy A. (Purdy) Hardin. His parents were born in Kentucky and settled in Illinois in 1831, being among the earliest pioneers of this State.
T.A. received a common-school education, and began his business life as Deputy Clerk of McDonough Co., Ill. He remained in that position only a short time when he went to Quincy, where he was employed in the money department of the Farmer’s & Merchants’ Insurance Company. He was made cashier and served the company five years. In 1871 he established the banking house of T.A. Hardin & Co., at Blandinsville, Ill., which he conducted till January, 1876, when he sold for profit. He then came to Fulton and established the present banking house of T.A. Hardin & Co., Aug. 1, 1876. He had associated with him at this time Messrs. Quinton C. Ward, John H. Hungate and N.W. McGee. The last named gentleman sold his interest to Mr. Hardin Aug. 1, 1882. This bank does a general banking business, and represents a capital of $100,000. Mr. Hardin’s partners, Ward & Hungate, reside at La Harpe, Ill., while Mr. Hardin is the resident partner and manager of the bank at Fulton.
Mr. Hardin was married at Rock Island, Ill., Feb. 7, 1878, to Miss Ida C. Eckert, daughter of George and Caroline (Dennis) Eckert. Mrs. Hardin was born in Fulton, Ill. Her parents were natives of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Hardin have one child, Mary Alice, born at Fulton, April 2, 1879.
Mr. Hardin is a thoroughgoing business man, whose ability as a financier and unquestioned integrity commands the confidence and respect of his customers and the business public. He was made a Mason in Bodley Lodge, No. 1, of Quincy, Ill., in 1866. He is now a member of Fulton City Lodge, No., 189, and of the Fulton Chapter, No. 108, R.A.M., and of Sterling Commandery, K.T.