Biographies of Whiteside County, IL 1885
Welcome to Tampico, Illinois
Biographies Whiteside Co 1885 > Dr. N. W. Hubbard

Tampico Area Historical Society
15 Jul 2007

Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL

Transcribed by: Becky Jones


Pages 255-256


Dr. N.W. Hubbard, deceased, formerly a resident of Fulton, possessed a national reputation with the medical profession as the inventor of the world-renowned “Hubbard Truss” and the originator of the successful system of hernia treatment which bears his name. The use of the ingenious appliances invented by Dr. Hubbard and the application of his system of treatment in cases of hernia, has resulted in saving lives and in affording relief to thousands of sufferers.


Dr. Hubbard was the eldest son in a family of ten children, and was born in the town of Randolph, Portage Co., Ohio, April 10, 1810.  His parents, Bela F. and Clarissa (Ward) Hubbard, were natives of Connecticut and were among the pioneer settlers of the Western Reserve of Ohio. Dr. Hubbard took a regular course at the Medical College of Columbus, Ohio, and graduated with honor in the class of 1840. He entered upon the practice of his profession at Newark, Licking Co., Ohio. Being a sufferer from hernia, he was led to an investigation of the current methods of treatment and the mechanical appliances in use in such cases. He made a thorough study of the subject, that resulted in valuable discoveries, which were presented to the profession through a paper read by him before the State Medical Association of Ohio, and which was printed and circulated extensively by order of the Association. During his long and useful career as a physician, his services and advice were often sought, in consultation, by such teachers of surgery as Girdon Buck and William Parker of New York, and R. L. Howard, of Ohio.


Dr. Hubbard was married at Rootstown, Portage Co., Ohio, July 6, 1837 to Miss Mary A. Coe, daughter of Samuel and Lucy (Lester) Coe. Mrs. Hubbard is a native of Portage Co., Ohio. Her parents were born and brought up in Massachusetts, and were among the early pioneers of Western Ohio. The Doctor removed to Elyria, Ohio, in 1851, and from that time out he devoted his efforts entirely to his specialty, the treatment of hernia in its various phases. He came to Fulton, Ill., in 1855, and made this his home till the time of his death, which occurred May 14, 1883. While Fulton was his place of residence, his professional services were in demand throughout the States and Territories, and for some years he maintained an office in New York city.


He was an earnest supporter of a free and liberal educational system, and for several years was a member of the Board of Trustees of the Northern Illinois College. He was enterprising and public-spirited, taking an active part in matters of local improvement. He was active in organizing the Agricultural Society of Whiteside County, and was chosen its first President. In politics he was an ardent Republican, of strong anti-slavery sympathies in the early history of the party and of as strong Prohibition sympathies in later years. Withal, he was conservative and advocated only legitimate, legal measures of redress, always opposing extreme or radical views.


Dr. and Mrs. Hubbard had four children, two sons and two daughters,--Frances, Lester C., Frederick H. and Grace.  Frances, the eldest, is the widow of Harry Bellard, and resides at Hannibal, Mo. Lester C. was a Captain in the volunteer service in the late war, and is now employed as editor on a Boston paper. Frederick H. studied medicine and graduated at Bellevue Hospital Medical College of New York, and is engaged in the practice of his profession at Brooklyn. He married Miss Emma Owen, of Hannibal, Mo.

Grace, the youngest child, resides with her mother at the old homestead in Fulton, Ill.


Dr. Hubbard was a true and affectionate husband and father, a worthy brother of the Masonic Order, being a member of Fulton City Lodge, No. 189, A. F. & A.M. As a neighbor and citizen, he was held in high esteem, while in the medical profession, where his great services were best appreciated, he won a place of which his friends may well be proud.



TAMPICO AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY - MUSEUM - FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY/RESEARCH CENTER  119 Main St., P. O. Box 154,  Tampico, IL  61283  President Joan Johnson, 815-438-7581 or  Family History Coordinator, Denise McLoughlin 815-718-3617. We are an all-volunteer organization so your donations are always appreciated!  Sign up to receive our e-newsletter. Thank you!  Visit us on FACEBOOK, too.