Tampico Area Historical Society
30 Jul 2007
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Originally published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Transcribed by: Becky Jones
William Topping, retired farmer, Union Grove Tp., was born in Lowville, Lewis Co., N.Y., April 6, 1802. His parents, Jared and Judith (Prentiss) Topping, were born in Connecticut. William was brought up on a farm, and was married in his native town Jan. 1, 1823, to Miss Sarah Weaver. They had eight children, four of whom lived to be men and women; the others died in childhood. Of the former, the eldest was Harriet, wife of W. G. Hitchcock, of Morrison. The second is Edwin G., who married Rose Chapman and resides in Harvey Co., Kan. The third, Oscar F., married Ellen Powell, and lives in Oregon. The fourth, George, died aged 41 years, leaving a wife and five children, residents of Morrison.
Mr. Topping removed to Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, in 1834, where he was engaged in milling and farming till 1855, when he came to Illinois and located on section 16, Union Grove Township, this county, where he had a finely improved farm of 100 acres. Mrs. Topping died Aug. 7, 1882, and Mr. Topping was married again Nov. 26, 1882, at Morrison, to Mrs. Rosina Burwell, widow of Abram Burwell, and only daughter of Reynolds and Lucy (Powers) Vaughn. She was born in the town of Ferrisburg, Addison Co., Vt. She had three children by her former marriage: Martha E. Burwell, of Morrison, the eldest; Charles H. died aged five years; and Silas A. married Anna Bull, and resides in Polo, Ill.
Mr. Topping served as Assessor of Union Grove Township two years. In early life he was a staunch Democrat, but of strong anti-slavery sympathies. He joined the Republican party on its organization, and has been an earnest advocate of Republican principles continuously since. Mr. Topping and wife are members of the Universalist Church. Mr. T. is a remarkably well preserved man at 83 years of age, in full possession of his faculties; and active and energetic as many a man at 50. He sold his farm, and since Christmas, 1883, has made his home at Morrison.