Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Pub. 1885, Chapman Bros.
1 Apr 2008
Transcribed by Deb Thormahlen
Wesley V. Zimmerman, proprietor of the St. Nicholas Hotel and Restaurant at Erie, is a son of John and Rachel (Fuller) Zimmerman, and was born in Cattaraugus Co., N.Y., Jan.. 12, 1840. His father is a native of that State, is a farmer by occupation and resides one-half mile north of Spring Hill, this county. The mother of Wesley is also a native of New York and is living with her husband as above stated. Their children were nine in number, as follows: Cordelia, wife of Hiram Gilmore, a farmer in Medicine Co., cal.; Mary A., wife of Levi Fuller, a resident of Eureka Springs, Ark.; John D., deceased; Edwin, a butcher in Prophetstown, this county; Alice, wife of George Clifford, at work in the pineries of Minnesota; Annie, wife of Clements Merrill, a farmer in Iowa; George, a wholesale and retail hardware merchant in San Francisco, Cal.; Frank, a farmer near Spring Hill, this county; and Wesley.
Mr. Zimmerman was reared on a farm, and on attaining adult age he followed lumbering during the winter seasons.
He was married in Salamanca, Cattaraugus Co., N.Y., Feb. 20, 1864, to Miss Mary P., daughter of James K. (a lumberman residing in New York) and Elmira (Kilbourn) Webb. Her mother is deceased. Mrs. Z. was born in Warren Co., Pa., July 14, 1845. They have had five children, three of whom are living. The record is as follows: Allie, born March 18, 1865; Webb D., born May 22, 1866, died Dec. 2, same year; Alden, born July 25, 1867, died Dec. 17, same year; Frank R., born April 2, 1872; and Fred, born Feb. 18, 1877.
Mr. Zimmerman came West to a point near Spring Hill, this county, in 1868, where he farmed one year, after which he engaged in railroading for several years. In 1876 he came to Erie and opened a restaurant, which he conducted a short time and then took possession of the St. Nicholas Hotel, which he ran for a time. He afterward opened a saloon, which business he followed until the spring of 1883. In April, 1884, Mr. Zimmerman rented the St. Nicholas Hotel, and has continued to conduct the same as a first-class house. He can accommodate from 15 to 20 guests, and keeps adjoining a restaurant and ice-cream parlor, and also a saloon, and is doing a good and increasing business. The traveling public will find the St. Nicholas one of the pleasantest places in the county.