4 Aug 2005
PAST AND PRESENT OF BUREAU COUNTY, ILLINOIS
Originally published 1906
Pioneeer Pub. Co., Chicago, IL
Transcribed by: Denise McLoughlin
Tampico Area Historical Society
LEWIS M. LONG
Lewis M. Long, whose life has been an active and useful one, deserves much credit for what he has accomplished. He was born in Ottowa county, Ohio, December 12, 1851, and was only six years of age when brought to Bureau county by his parents in 1857. He was the oldest of five children born unto Frederick and Rachel (St. Clair) Long, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Ottawa county, Ohio.
Being but a young lad when he arrived in Bureau County, Lewis M. Long began his education in the public schools here and continued his studies in the graded schools at Sublette, Lee county, Illinois, and again was a student in Bureau county for one term. His mental training was an excellent dicipline for the practical and responsible duties of later life and on putting aside his text-books he entered upon the task of making a farm and home for himself. He has met with some financial reverses, but under all conditions has maintained an unassailable reputation for integrity and honor, and as right eventually triumphs, Mr. Long is again numbered among the substantial residents of his community.
On the 3rd of September, 1873, occurred the marriage of Lewis M. Long and Miss Eliza F. Cresap, who was born in Bureau county, July 10, 1856. She is the daughter of Van O. And Ruth (Ravenscroft) Cresap, who were natives of Ohio and became residents of Illinois in 1840. Her father was a farmer by occupation and reared a family of six children, of whom Mrs. Long is the fifth. By her marriage she has become the mother of three children: Pearl, born August 10, 1877; Elva Ruth, born January 16, 1883, and Daisy M. Born April 29, 1884. Mrs. Long attends the United Brethren church, of which she is a member, and his views upon the temperance question are plainly indicated by the allegiance which he gives to the prohibition party. The home farm comprises one hundred and twelve and a half acres of excellent land and Mr. Long has always followed farming and stock-raising. He has been a director of the schools for twelve years and the cause of education finds in him a war friend. Socially he and his wife occupy an enviable position and he is a pleasant, geneal gentelman, whose kindliness and deference for the opinions ofothers have made him popular. At all times he has maintained an unassailable reputation for honorable dealing, and his personal worh classes him with the valued and representative citizens.