Source: Thje Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois
Originally published 1896
S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., Chicago, IL
Reproduced on CD purchased from OLD GLORY ACCENTS
RELATED LINK: Index to all Biographies from this book
Also see: WALTON FAMILY PHOTO ALBUM
Transcribed by Denise McLoughlin
Tampico Area Historical Society
Photo submitted by Dorrie Simon
ANDEREW W. WALTON. Few men are more prominent or more widely known in Bureau county than the gentleman whose name introduces this sketch. He has been an important factor in business circles and his popularity is well deserved,as in him are embraced the characteristics of an unbending integrity, unabating energy and industry that never flags. He is public-spirited and thoroughly interested in whatever tends to promote the moral, intellectual and material welfare of his adopted county. He is one of the prominent business men of Selby township, resding on section 17, and is extensively engaged in the manufacture of tile and in coal mining, besides the operation of his fine farm.
Mr. WALTON was born in New Richmond, Clermont county, Ohio, September 11, 1832, a son of Newell E. and Elizabeth (CONNER) WALTON, whose sketch is given on another page of this work. In the schools of his native county he acquired a good practical education, completing his lieteray course in the Parkers academy. In the fall of 1853 he came to Bureau county, Illinois, where for eleven years he followed carpentering on boats on the Illinois river, which trade he had previously learned in his native state. He then located upon his farm in Selby township, and actively and successsfully engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1873 he began coal mining, which has also proved a profitable business. In his mines are found three valuable veins of bituminous coal, the second vein of which at a depth of one hundred and fifty feet, is four and a half feet thick, and the third, at a depth of four hundred feet, is three and a half feet thick. These yeild a large quantity of excellent coal, which is sold mostly in the local markets, principally at Princeton. In 1879, Mr. WALTON also embarked in the manufacture of tile, using a superior quality of clay, and the product which he turns out is first-class in every particular.
In Selby township, in April, 1876, Mr. WALTON was united in marriage with Miss Charity W. LONG, a daughter of H. H. LONG, of Bureau county, where she has spent her entire life. She is a talented, well-educated lady, holding a first grade teacher's certificate, and previous to her marriage successfully followed the profession of teaching. They now have one son, Andrew W. jr., who has been given good educational priveleges, and now assists his father i his business.
By his ballot Mr. WALTON upholds the principles and men of the republican party, but for himself cares nothing for the honors or emoluments of politial positions. Fraternally he is a Royal Arch Mason, and also a member of the Knights of Pythias. During the forty-three years of his residence here, Mr. WALTON has made many friends throughout the county and has gained the confidence and esteeem of all with whom he has come in contact. He is a man of broad capabilities, as his varied and extensive business interests indicate, is straighforward and honorable inall his dealings, and his example is well worthy of emulation.