History of Bureau County 1885
Rev. William Ross, Ohio, was born November 24, 1814, in Somerset County, Penn., and is the son of Rev. William and Jane Ross, who came to this county in 1851. (For history of parents see sketch of James Ross.) The subject of this sketch was raised on a
farm in Ohio, and at the age of twenty was licensed to preach in the Methodist Protestant Church, and tow years later was ordained as a minister of the Gospel. He remained in Ohio, Virgina and Pennsylvania, traveling a portion of the time, till May, 1852, when he
came to this county, and settled in Ohio Township, on Section 30, June 22, 1841. Mr. Ross married Mary Davis, the daughter of
James and Elizabeth Davis, of Jefferson County, Ohio. She was born June 22, 1820. The father was born December 15, 1772, and
served in the war of 1812. and participated in the battle of Tippecanoe, under Gen. Harrison. He died March 29, 1856. The mother died May 21, 1852. Mr. and Mrs. Ross are the parents of six children, three of whom are now living: Mrs. Elizabeth J. Burns, was born April 18, 1842, is the widow of the late Rev. John Burns, who died July 27, 1882, Plano, lll.; John C., born December 7, 1844, died October 11, 1859; Sarah C., born November 15, 1846, died February 23, 1850; James W., born June 5, 1855, Princeton, Ill.; Charles S., born January 23, 1858, died May 3, 1858; Florence V., born December 3, 1860, teacher in public schools, Plano, Ill. After coming to this county Mr. Ross engaged in farming and frequently preached to the settlers of his locality till 1863, when he removed to Princeton, Ill., and afterward lived in various parts of this state. In 1874 he removed to Ohio Village, where he now resides as Postmaster of the town, which position he has held for the past seven years.