History of Bureau County, IL 1885 (Bradsby)
HISTORY OF BUREAU COUNTY 1885
P. G. LARSON, Princeton. A. P. Larson, father of the gentleman whose name heads this sketch, is a native of Sweden, born May 28, 1816. At the age of eighteen he began learning the trade of joiner and cabinet-maker, and for years followed his trade successfully in the old country, at one time employing nine men to assist him in the shop. He was also the owner of a good farm, but lost all his property by being security for his brother. He was married in Sweden in 1843 to Anna C. Carlson, born August 17, 1815. To them one son and three daughters have been born. One daughter was go\\born in America and died here. The eldest daughter is now the wife of S. O. Josephson, a skilled mechanic of Princeton. The youngest daughter is the wife of John A. Stem, a prominent grocer of Princeton. In 1852 Mr. Larson came to America, and settled at Princeton, bringing with him his wife and oldest daughter. For some time he worked for other parties, but as soon as he had a small capital he invested in business for himself, gradually increasing it as his capital increased. May 1, 1870, the building he occupied was burned, but part of his stock of goods was saved, and h\this he moved into a temporary building, and immediately began the construction of his present brick business house. He and his son now carry a complete stock of furniture and undertaking goods, valued at about $4,000. His son, P. G. Larson, was born in Sweden, in the city of Wqdstenn, July 19, 1845. His early life was spent ion his native town attending school. In 1858 he and his younger sister joined their parents in Princeton, where he attended school for some time. At the age of nineteen he began learning the trade of cabinet-maker, completing it in 1866 in Chicago, Ill., with Ulricks Alexander, now A. H. Andrews & Co., manufacturers of desks, etc. He continued to follow his trade until 1880, since which time he has given his attention to undertaking and upholstering. He is a member of the Undertakers' Association of the State. April 29, 1869, Mr. Larson was married to Matilda U. Stem, who was born March 24, 1847. She died July 25, 1876, leaving two daughters: Minnie E., born June9, 1870, and Evelyne M., July 19, 1872. December 7, 1882, Mr. Larson was united in marriage in Princeton to Miss Jennie Paul, who was born in Bedford county, Penn., December 9, 1855. She is the daughter of David and Susan (Earnest) Paul, who are now residents of Princeton, having moved here during Mrs. Larson's infancy.