Header Graphic
Articles & Local History > 1898 - Accidental Poisoning by Mrs. Wm. Steadman


Sterling Standard
May 26, 1898
Pg 3, Col. 2

Mrs. William Steadman of Stones accidentally took ten drops of nitrate of silver Monday night and was taken violently ill almost immediately. Dr. Carolus, of this city, was summoned and responded promptly. He found that emetics had been given by members of the family, and after little working soon had his patient out of danger. She is much better this morning.

Mrs.Steadman has been in ill health for some time and has been taking medicine. The hired man had also been using nitrate of silver, put up in identically the same kind of a vial that contained Mrs. Steadman's medicine for warts and he had left this standing beside the other vial. Mrs. Steadman wanted some of the medicine during the night, and in the uncertain light of the lamp, the wrong bottle was gotten hold of.

It is thought that the sufferer did not get enough of the stuff to cause her death.

TAMPICO AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY - MUSEUM - FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY/RESEARCH CENTER  119 Main St., P. O. Box 154,  Tampico, IL  61283   www.tampicohistoricalsociety.com   tampicoareahistory@gmail.com  We are an all-volunteer organization so your donations are always appreciated!  Sign up to receive our e-newsletter. Thank you!  Visit us on FACEBOOK.