Newsletter/Mailing List >
TAHS Newsletter & Website Updates for July 2010
TAHS Newsletter & Website Updates for July 2010
Jul 24, 2010
CALENDAR OF EVENTS - JULY
* FARMERS MARKET,Saturdays, 8a-12n - in Reagan Park. They welcome others in the area to set up individual booths for sales of their handicraft or baked items. Contact: Dennis Morath
* July 27, 7 p.m. - TAHS regular meeting. (119 Main St., Tampico) PROGRAM: Gary Sarver of Walnut will speak on their Cemetery Marker Restoration Program. Tom Garland of Garland Funeral Home may be available as well. Contact: Joan Johnson, president. 815-622-8705
* August 2, 12:00 - Tampico Community Club - Eat at Good Times Grill. After lunch, go over to Community Bldg. Program: IL State Police to discuss Thompson Prison. Root Beer Floats for dessert.
* August 4 - TACB sponsored trip to see "Big River" on the showboat in Clinton, IA. Includes lunch at Candlelight Restaruant in Clinton. Reservations requested by July 4th. Contact Terry Gaskill: 815-535-3665. WAITING LIST ONLY
* August 6th & 7th, 6p.m. - TAMPICO BATTLE OF THE BANDS in the Ball Diamond (west of town). This is a non-alcoholic event for all ages. Gates open at 5p.m. Early ticket prices, $10. At-the-gate tickets - $15. Purchase at: Dutch Diner, Tampico; Happy Joes, Morrison or Rock Falls. Contact: Ken - 815-499-3511 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or www.tampicobattleofthebands.webs.com. Saturday Tournaments include: Volleyball (5 person teams), Bag Toss (2 person teams) and Tug-of-war teams. Food/Drinks & Bonfires.
* August 24, 7 p.m. - TAHS Annual Pot Luck Picnic in the Community Bldg. Bring a dish to pass, own plate & utensils. Beverages provided. PROGRAM: Country Schools - Plans are underway to have a speaker(s) on the old country schools in Whiteside County. It would be great if there are any teachers of that era could attend. Public invited. Come share your stories of this by-gone era. If you know of teachers or persons that are knowledgeable on this topic, please contact Denise McLoughlin, 815-590-2143 or email email@example.com
* Sept. 28, 6 p.m. - TAHS regular meeting. Program: Moore Mortuary will give a presentation in the Tampico Memorial Cemetery on the proper way to clean and care for headstones. We will meet one hour earlier than usual. Meet in Tampico Memorial Cemetery at 6 p.m. Public invited!
* October 9, 2010 - Dedication of an Historic Marker to be placed in the Reagan Park. Donations & questions can be directed to Joan Johnson, coordinator of the Reagan Birthplace & Museum. 815-438-7581, 815-622-8705.
2011 - NAME OF EVENT: Ronald Reagan Centennial Birthday GALA
SPONSOR: Reagan Birthplace
DATE & TIME: February 4, 2011 --- to be announced
LOCATION Deer Valley Country Club, 3298 Hoover Road (Ill. Route 40), handicap accessibility – yes
CITY: (1 mile north of) Deer Grove STATE: IL ZIP: 61243
DESCRIPTION OF EVENT
Dinner/Dance with special speaker – to be determined later
ADMISSION: to be determined later
CONTACT PERSON: Joan Johnson
TELEPHONE NUMBER: 815-622-8705 E-MAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org or garyjoanthewisp.net
AREA ATTRACTIONS & ACCOMMODATIONS
* Rock Falls Tourism - This is a new website that offers a very nice view of what is happening in our vicinity. It includes links to websites (including the TAHS) and will update their Calendar of Events as they receive new information. Cathy Brunner is the Director of the RF Tourism. I will keep them listed in our Table of Contents - "Area Attractions & Accommodations."
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT:
Every year the Tampico Historical Society conducts a bake sale during Tampico Festive Days as a means of replenishing the treasury for upkeep of the Museum. This year it was voted to have a "Bake-less Bake Sale". Each Historical Society member is asked to make a donation of $10.00 to take the place of an item that would have been provided for the Bake Sale. We will certainly appreciate your donation. Please send it to:
Tampico Historical Society - Box 154 - Tampico, IL 61283.
Thank you so much.
Joan Johnson- President/Treasurer
As always, if you have questions, please feel free to contact me anytime at 815-622-8705 or email@example.com and be sure to catch up with any new items on the website - www.tampicohistoricalsociety.com
also - if you haven't sent in your annual dues, now would be a good time to do that as well.
The Ronald Reagan Birthplace has a new email address:
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
MESSAGE FROM WEBSITE MANAGER
I am revamping the website in the hopes that it will make navigation even easier for everyone. Focus is on Cemetery Indexes and transferring Family Photo albums on web site over to the Picasa Web-based Album. Contact: Denise firstname.lastname@example.org
Go to the "What's New"? page of our website anytime for a complete list of updates. From there, you can click on any new entry for viewing. http://www.tampicohistoricalsociety.citymax.com/Whats_New.html
ILLINOIS REAGAN CENTENNIAL COMMISSION
February 6, 2011 will mark the anniversary of the 100th birthday of President Ronald Reagan, born in Tampico, IL. A special Reagan Centennial Commission was formed to commemorate this event to celebrated at the Federal and State levels. Joan Johnson, President of the TAHS and Curator of the Reagan Birthplace is a member of this commission. Nationwide events are planned. The commission now has a dedicated website to help you learn about it's purpose as well as a Calendar of Events and Contact information. http://www.illinoisreagancentennial.com/
RONALD REAGAN STATUE
We now have a dedicated website for the Ronald Reagan Statue Fund.
To Learn More About Reagan's time in Tampico & the Reagan Birthplace, see our web pages on the TAHS website: http://www.tampicohistoricalsociety.citymax.com/R_Reagan_Birthplace_Museum.html
Photos of Artist's Rendition & Sample Brick:
A fund raiser is underway to sell laser-printed bricks to place in the Ronald Reagan Park. These will create a pathway to the Ronald Reagan Statue. The sale of these memorial bricks will help fund the Reagan Statue. Contact: Shirley Lester, 815-499-4770 or Terry Gaskill, 815-535-3665.
A dedication of an historic marker to be placed in the Reagan Park, Tampico, IL will be held Oct. 9. Rep. Bill Foster and many other dignitaries will be in attendance.
TAMPICO MEMORIAL DAY CEMETERY WALK, 2010
http://picasaweb.google.com/TampicoHistoricalSociety/MemorialCemeteryWalk2010?feat=directlink The threats of a storm did not hinder the annual Cemetery Walk. The presentations were done inside the air conditioned Community Bldg. after a prayer, gun-salute and taps were performed by Tampico's American Legion outside of the building. Please take a moment to go through the on-line photo album of this event. A BIG Thank You to Rhonda & Jim Reese, Sharon Callaghan & Gene Wright!
TAMPICO DAYS - 3rd ANNUAL FISHING DERBY
This community project is well underway. Some items are already being picked, with Poston's Market handling them. The Saturday sales at Reagan Park will get underway in July and they welcome others in the area to set up individual booths for sales of their handicraft or baked items. Contact: Dennis Morath
Mexican Train Domino nights are still being held on Thursday nights. The Building committee is planning a trip to Clinton to see the Showboat Matinee of “Big River” on July 15, with Dutch Treat lunch at Candlelight Inn prior to the play.
COMMUNICATIONS: The Rock Falls Tourism has developed a new website which promotes events and attractions in the area. They have asked to be put on our mailing list for our Calendar of Events and will promote us whenever possible. They also added a link to our website. We have reciprocated. Their site is very well done and easy to navigate. I hope all will check it out http://www.visitrockfalls.com/
COMMUNICATIONS: The TAHS received a request to identify a photo from Lorinda Heuer. Lorinda descends from the Whipple family and suspects the photo may be of a couple from the Whipple family or perhaps the Winslow Family. You can read her entire message on our Message Board: http://www.tampicohistoricalsociety.com/board/board_topic/23882/608949.htm The photo can be viewed in our Picasa online albums: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/h-bdu7pcOw7VUyLV5oXKIw?feat=directlink
Sharmon Laurinda Hunt, KS Surname of Interest: HUNT
Dennis Perri, IL Ronald Reagan Fan!
UPDATES TO OUR WEBSITE
Contributors: Denise McLoughlin, Melva L. Taylor
Our friend, Melva, has once again bombarded us with obituary transcriptions from the Sterling Gazette. This month's additions are from 1952 & 1954. THANK YOU Melva! Sadly, we lost some long-familiar faces in Tampico & vicinity. I will continue to post both old and new obits as I receive them.
* Bob Batten* Anna Bingenheimer* Margaret M. (Maes)Boelens
* Geraldine L. Braggo* Lulu Brainerd* George Clum* John Edberg * Julie Elmendorf
* Hulda Faulk* Joseph J. Henrekin* Merion Kelly* Gerald Lange* Meredith Loudenburg
* John Massey, Sr.* Laura Ocken* Jenny Peterson* Vera M. Rosene* Frank Scott
* Teryl "Terry" Seaman* Willaim Spears* Helen Wallace* Arthur Wetzell* Adeline Yonk
PICASA WEB ALBUMS
We currently have 83 albums for you to browse online
* Tampico Days - (photos by Terry Gaskill)
* Fishing Derby 2010
* Purchase Memorial Bricks (Fund Raiser for Reagan Statue in Reagan Park)
* Mystery Photo - Whipple? Wnslow? Can you identify?
* Union, aka: Greenville/Fairfield or Whittington Cemetery - Maggie Hill submitted headstone photos for surnames: Marine, Anderson, Johnson & Sibley
* Whipple Family (I moved the Whipple photos from the onsite album over to the Picasa Album)
* Berge (alt. sp.: Birge) Family
Those darling "SPAMMERS" have made a mess of our Message Boards. Until I can find another way to out-smart them, no new people will be able to post directly to the board. If you have a User ID and password for the message board already, you should be fine. New people need to email me with query and I will post it to the site for them. Sigh.....
Reagan Centennial Events 2010/2011 (I will add events as the information comes in)
Memorial Bricks - Ronald Reagan Statue
Whipple or Winslow (Needs photo identification)
FAMILY PHOTO ALBUMS
* Removed WHIPPLE album from site & added to Picasa Album
* Removed BERGE album from site & added to Picasa Album
ARTICLES & LOCAL HISTORY
* 2010 - "Help Pave the Way to the Reagan Statue in Reagan Park"
* "Dear Mr. President" - You'll love what the volunteers at the Reagan Birthplace found on their doorstep. Read the story... http://www.tampicohistoricalsociety.citymax.com/articles/article/22587/144646.htm
CORRECTIONS - ADDITIONS - MISCELLANEOUS
* Corrected death date for Fannie Forward in TMC Cemetery Index
That's it for our updates. I am really in need of your help for our August COUNTRY SCHOOLS program. If you know of someone with knowledge on this topic, or of a teacher that may like to attend and/or speak or if you would like to share some memories or PHOTOS, it would be very appreciated. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. Denise email@example.com or call 815-590-2143. Help me make it a really special program!
TAMPICO AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY - MUSEUM - FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY/RESEARCH CENTER 119 Main St., P. O. Box 154, Tampico, IL 61283 www.tampicohistoricalsociety.com firstname.lastname@example.org President Joan Johnson, 815-438-7581 or email@example.com Family History Coordinator, Denise McLoughlin 815-718-3617. We are an all-volunteer organization so your donations are always appreciated! Sign up to receive our e-newsletter. Thank you! Visit us on FACEBOOK, too.