Welcome to Tampico, Illinois
Whiteside Co Townships > Clyde Township


Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL
Origianlly published 1885 Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL
Reproduced on CD and purchased from OLD GLORY ACCENTS

Transcribed by: Denise McLoughlin
Tampico Area Historical Society
www.tampicohistoricalsociety.citymax.com

Page 842

CLYDE TOWNSHIP

Clyde Township was oranized April 6, 1852. The first meeting for choosing township officials was called together and Thomas Exley was chosen Moderator, and Thomas Milnes, Clerk. When the plls were closed the ballot-box was found to contain 21 votes, and they were cast iwth the following result: W. P. Hiddleson for Supervisor; Thomas Milnes, Clerk; Thomas Exley, Assessor; Ed, Wick and William Alldritt, for Commissioners of Highway; John McKinley for Constable; Ed. Wick and William Willson for Justices of the Peace.

Clyde is in the northern tier of townships, number 22 north, range 5 east of the 4th principal meridian, and is a full Congressional township.

Carroll County bounds it on the north, Genesee Township on the east, Mounty Pleasant on the south and Ustick on the West. It formerly belonged to Union Precinct.

Jesse Hill is credited with being the first settler in Clyde, in the spring of 1835. He was followed by William Wink, who made a claim adjoining. there was but very little done toward settling up or improving this territory until 1838, when substantial men began to come in. During this year Samuel Wessell, who was a native of England, Zachariah Dent, H. W. Daniels, Hugh Hollinshead and Mr. Wing came in and made settlements.

In 1839 Mr. Wing and H. H. Fowler put up a saw-mill on Rock Creek, and commences cutting out lumber. It was during this year that Wing, who it appears was a speculative genious, got up a real-estate boom, taking in some Eastern men. He staked off some lots at the mill, and founded what he would have people belive, a future great city. This he called Genesee City. Quite an addition was made to the population this year, but the "city" did not seem to grow much, though there was plenty of land for it to expand in, and Wing had it for sale. Cabins, however, were put up, farms laid out, ground broken, and farming begun in good earnest. They had a ready market for all their products at Albany, Fulton and other more distant towns.

In this, as in all the other townships, the early settlers, especially those coming directly from the East, were prone to locte about the timber, holding the erroneous belief that here were the best farming lands. Experience, however, soon taught them their mistake.

During the early times, religious services were held by the pioneers at what was called Genesee Grove, and at the houses of the settlers, which were conducted by some missinary. Some, when they wanted a religiuous feast, would go down to Unionville, in Union Grove Township.

Mrs. Belinda Beswick, wife of Richard Beswick, won the admiration of the settlers by presenting to them a son, the first child born inthe township. This even occurred on the 10th of February, A. D. 1840. He was named George Richard.

Marriages in those days were by no means common, and when Sam. Currie and Julia Thomas were joined together in holdy bonds of wedlock, it was an occasion of great interest and they the recipients of many blessings. Tradition gives this important event as occurring in September, 1840.

The first deaths were those of John and Margaret Blue, who died in the fall of 1839.

The people were without the advantages of schools for several years. In 1846 a summer school was opened at the house of Thomas Exley, and Lucy Exley was the teacher.

The first grist-mill started in the township was by Mr. Brothwell, on section 13, on Rock Creek. this was on the old saw-mill site.

In 1867, the Methodists, having organized a society and gathered up funds sufficient for their purpose, erected them a church edifice. This was located on section 7. Having an organization and a house of worship, they secured the services of Rev. L. C. Connant. This was a growing and an active society for many years, and to it was attached an interesting Sunday-school. Services are still held in this church.

The Dunkards also have an organization in this township and hold services regularly.

W. D. Hayes secured the establishment of a mail route in the township in 1876, with a postoffice at Malvern village. He was appointed Postmaster, and has held the position since that time. There is a nother postoffice now in the township, located on section 14, and known as the White Pigeon office. George Platt is Postmaster. This was first located on section 1, with J. S. Reed as Postmaster. Mr. Platt has in connection with his office a grocery store.

Of the first settlers, the only one living now in the township is Zachariah Dent. He still resides on section 14, and, considering his age, is a pretty hearty man.

Clyde township is very liberally watered and well timbered, with many beautiful little gorves. The land is rolling, and in some localities quite broken and picturesque. The soil is mostly clay. In the bottoms it is a heavy loam. There are many splendid farms in the township, with fine farm buildings. the nearest railraod station is a Morrison. The population is estimated at 1,100.

S. B. Geyer has a grist-mill on section 26. Hiram Barthell has also a grist-mill, which is on the old Brothwell mill site, section 13.

T. R. King has a creamery at Round Grove.

There is a good school at Geyer's mill, taught by Miss Emma Fisk, and one at White Pigeon, taught by Miss Mattie E. Young. At this school there is an average attendance of 20 pupils.

The Assessor's reports for the last year furnishes the following figures: number os acres of improved land, 22,023; value of these lands, $363,775; total value of personal property, $215,925l bynber ifgirsesm 459; asses and mules, 14; sheep, 238; hogs, 1,306; carriages and wagons, 204; watches and clocks, 142; sewing and knitting machines, 100; pianos, 4; organs and melodeons, 24; total value of lands, lots and personal property, $316,532.

From the annual report of the County Superintendent for 1884, the following statistics have been obtained; number of school districts 8, with 8 frame school buildings; valuation of school property, $5,885; of persons under 21 years of age there were 506; of whom 372 were of scholastic age, and 279 enrolled; the highest wages paid teachers was $50 per month; the lowest, $23; the tax levy was $2,144.

Below a list of the Supervisors who have represented the township since its organization:

SUPERVISORS

William P. Hiddleson: 1852-53
Joseph H. Brothwell:   1854
Benjamin West:          1855
Thomas Melnes:         1855
William Willson:          1855
J. B. Van Court:          1856
William P. Hiddleson   1857-58
Richard Beswick         1859-72
Joseph Milnes             1873-82
George Janvrin             1883-85

TAMPICO AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY - MUSEUM - FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY/RESEARCH CENTER  119 Main St., P. O. Box 154,  Tampico, IL  61283   www.tampicohistoricalsociety.com   tampicohistoricalsociety@gmail.com  President Joan Johnson, 815-438-7581 or garyjoan@thewisp.net  Family History Coordinator, Denise McLoughlin 815-718-3617. We are an all-volunteer organization so your donations are always appreciated!  Sign up to receive our e-newsletter. Thank you!  Visit us on FACEBOOK, too.